You can enable the backorders in Catalog Settings > Inventory Manager:
Once you check the Display Ready / Reserved Columns checkbox, it will enable the backorders functionality.
The Ready and Reserved columns will show up in the cart:
You can also configure:
- Backorder confirmation message – if filled, it will display a message to confirm the order of unavailable items.
- Backorder alert – it filled it will display the second confirmation for backorder
Both messages work only if there is at least one product in the cart with back ordered quantity.
The first back-order confirmation message
The first message shows up when you click the Place an order button:
The user has two choices:
- Order only available quantities – when clicked, it will automatically change the selected product quantities in the cart to what is available, and the user is directed to the checkout.
- Order all quantities – the second back-order confirmation message shows up, or the user is directed to checkout if the message is not defined.
The second back-order confirmation message
The second message shows up when you select the Order all quantities option in the first message:
The user has two options:
- Yes – it will direct the user to the checkout to complete the back-order
- No – it will refresh the cart page so the user can modify the order.